Apparently the weekend of partying caught up with me. On Monday I had to go home early because I was feeling sick and I ended up taking Tuesday and Wednesday off for the same reason. I woke up on Tuesday feeling nauseous and could hardly stand up, and while I could stand on Wednesday, after spending five minutes getting ready I was feeling so dizzy I didn't think I could go anywhere. After three days of this I finally decided that going to the doctor would be a good idea.

I have been dreading going to the doctor. Before I left SA I made sure to get a year's prescription for my medication from my doctor, since he knows my feelings about needles. Yet, when I tried to fill it up last month, the doctor insisted on only giving me a month's supply, saying that I needed to come back for a test. It has been over a month, my supplies have run out, and the thought of going and being stabbed by a needle is enough to make me not want to visit the doctor even when I am genuinely sick. I sucked it up though and made the trip yesterday afternoon.

After a rather embarassing scenario where I walked into the wrong doctors rooms (orthopedic surgeory rather than general), I made my way to the desk and made an appointment. I sat myself down on the comfy leather couch and waited for my name to be called. It only took a few minutes for the doctor to see me, and when he did he felt around my stomach (where I said there was a considerable amount of pain) and decided that I had appendicitis. I immediately freaked out of course - the idea of going under in Korea not being a pleasant thought - but was assured that it wasn't very serious. I left the building feeling very nervous and contemplating how I was going to get myself to a hospital. I phoned friends and was informed exactly what I should be feeling if I had appendicitis, none of which I was feeling.

Yes, I have stomach cramps, yes I have nausea, but I don't think that the two are exclusively related to appendicitis. I have a note in my handbag written by the doctor that I am carrying around in case I suddenly start feeling under the weather again, but for now I am back at school and taking it a little bit easy, but feeling better in general than I have over the last two days. Here's hoping I won't be needing surgeory any time soon.
Labels: edit post
0 Responses

Post a Comment