So apparently I am really really terrible at this blogging thing. I tend to be better with the mass e-mails because I get family back home asking me where the next one is, but so few people read my blog, and most of them get the mass e-mails in any case so that the blog ends up being a little pointless. I need to find new things to put into the blog rather than just adding the mass e-mail stuff and expecting people to read it and find it interesting. Someone did give me an idea today though. I am making myself a Korean bucketlist.

A bucketlist, for those who do not know (though I am sure that all of you do and this is just another pointless ramble), is a list of things to do before you kick the bucket. My Korean bucketlist will be things that I intend to do before I leave Korea. Since I only intend to be here for a year, this list will have to be doable and not involve things like "visit every city" or "adopt a Korean baby". Also, since I do not intend to be a teacher for the rest of my life and, in fact, would rather avoid teaching ever again after this year, it will not involve things like "become a better teacher". So here it is, my Korean bucketlist in no specific order whatsoever:

  1. Visit Jeju-do. I wanted to live there, for goodness sake. The least I can do is fork out a little cash and pay the island a visit.
  2. Go to at least one city in every province. There are nine provinces. Thus far, I have visited five if you include my day trip into Daejeon. Visiting Jeju would count as another two in fact, because I would have to hop onto a ferry from a province that I have never visited to get to Jeju, which is another province in itself.
  3. Have a conversation with a taxi-driver in Korean. I feel that if I learn this much Korean, my time here will have been a success. And no, telling a taxi-driver that I don't speak Korean in Korean does not count as a conversation.
  4. Earn some money. I did not come to Korea to save. I came here for an adventure. But it would still be nice to put away some money at the end of that adventure for when I go home and find myself in need of cash. I haven't been doing too badly so far, but there are plans for trips in the future to Thailand, and plane tickets from South Africa for one specific visitor, that need to be paid for. After these expenses are paid, it would be nice to have a little cash in my pocket. Please?
  5. Learn to play the guitar. Since I arrived in Korea, I have been doing things for other people. Tutorials for other people, taking trips because other people want me to, going out because other people insist that I get out of the house. Don't get me wrong, I like making other people happy. It brings me great amounts of joy. But I want to do one thing just for me, and that is learning to play the guitar. I started learning when I was back in South Africa, and I was thoroughly enjoying it, but I ended up not having enough time for it. Well, here I am. I have one year. I must learn to play like a pro, even if it means ruining my fingers forever (which looks to be the case so far.)
  6. Write mass e-mails on a regular basis. It doesn't really matter if no one ever reads them. It just means that I am writing something on a regular basis. I might end up looking over those letters and stringing them together later to tell the story of my year abroad. Or I might end up never looking at them again. My point is just that I want to be a writer, and this requires me to write things. Often.
  7. Write. This one goes a little bit beyond merely writing mass e-mails. Sure, those are handy and might come in useful later on in my life when I want to string them together to make a comprehensive view of my year here. But I also want to indulge in my creative side. This is why I intend to keep my second blog going while I am here. That way, I will have an outlet for my creative work as well as one for my adventures. I also intend to keep what I write in my blog different from the mass e-mails that I write. This blog is supposed to be for random rants and ravings whenever the need comes about. This is where I will write all my happenings. The mass e-mails will merely highlight the most important events and I intend them to be interesting, but far less so than the blog. I can't write a mass e-mail whenever something interesting comes up, after all, but I can certainly write a blog!
  8. Make a Korean friend. And by this I don't mean a Korean-American or Korean-Australian or a Korean who has lived abroad for most, if not all, of his or her life. I mean a Korean. And by friend I don't mean one of my co-workers who I see on a daily basis but who only speak to me when they need something or when I need help with something or who invite me places out of a sense of pity or who I tutor on a weekly basis. By a friend I mean someone I call up to have a drink with after a rough week. Someone I go partying with or call over for a movie. I have yet to make one of these kinds of Korean friend, though I have many of the other kind (both Korean-American and -Australian and co-workers and tutlings, etc.)
  9. Hike. There are so many beautiful trees and hills and mountains and they all have these lovely hiking paths that I am dying to go running up. But there is no way that I can. I am not even close to fit enough for running up mountains. But I can try to hike my way up. I want to start hiking on a more regular basis and I want to bring my camera along when I do and take tons of pictures that I can feel proud of.
  10. Take pictures. Last year, I took a camera and started snapping. And some pretty cool pictures came out of it. I looked at them and thought to myself, "Wow. I can be a photographer if I put my mind to it." And then I had to give the camera back. And it made me sad. Now I have a camera of my own, albeit a mini-me one, and I am going to take advantage of it dammit! I am going to take pictures like there is no tomorrow! I am going to tape the thing to my hand if I have to, but I am going to take photos!
  11. Go somewhere else in Asia. I mentioned earlier that I am hoping to take a trip to Thailand. That is going to cost some money. But I am excited about it nonetheless, because I am in Asia! HELLO!!!! When else am I going to have a chance to hop onto a plane for a minimal price and be in Thailand the same afternoon. Bangkok here I come! Phuket too I hope!
  12. Find a Dr Fish. All the searching in Busan has gotten me very very excited about the prospect of having my feet nibbled on, and I don't think that I will feel complete if I leave without having the experience!

There are likely to be many many more things added to this bucket list over time, but I feel like I may need to add to it in sequence because not only am I getting overly excited about all the possibilities that lie before me while I'm in the staffroom, which I feel is really inappropriate, but my brain also happens to be turning to mush while I am trying to think of other things. And a mushy brain is no good in a classroom, which is where I have to be in 15 minutes. So more on the bucketlist later, perhaps when I actually write these things down. For now though, I bid you all (well, the four people who actually might read this thing) adieu!
Labels: edit post
0 Responses

Post a Comment