Today is the day that I have been dreading. As much as I have been avoiding the thought of it, the date of Grant's departure has arrived. Ever since he arrived, I have been thinking up ways of keeping him here, including the burning of his passport, but by now it is too late. There is nothing I can do. Reality always catches up with us and it is time to face the facts - I cannot keep him here any longer. Now I have two choices - I can mope and sink into a serious depression, or I can look back at the awesome fun that we have had over the last four weeks (which may in turn lead to a serious depression, but there are always risks.) After a discussion that Grant and I had a couple of days back where he told me that I need to form a more positive outlook of the world, I think that I will attempt the latter option and reminisce rather than wallow. And so, here I am reminscing prior to the fact itself, hoping that this will make me smile when I look at it in a couple of days time. While there are so many little things that have made me happy about his being here, looking back on the past four weeks there are a couple of memorable moments that stick out.

MEMORABLE MOMENTS
  • Wandering the streets of Gangnam trying to find his first Korean meal, and ending up getting Japanese, only to find kalmegi and galbi places aplenty around the corner from the restaurant that we settled on.
  • Trying, in my broken Korean, to find a pub to watch the Grand Prix in. Cue charades!
  • Games of darts in every pub that we found, even though non-stop complaining about the stupid dartboards almost always ensued.
  • Lotus leaves, lotus flowers, lotus tea, lotus wraps and lotus beer. I don't think I will be able to hear the word "lotus" again without thinking about him.
  • Watching the giant yellow-striped spider spinning his web, even though it creeped the living daylights out of me.
  • Lazy days spent just being around each other in the apartment, doing nothing special but just being together.
  • Massages to work out the kinks in his back caused by sitting on the floor at Korean restaurants.
  • The joys of finding a kalmegi place, quickly followed by the horror of spicy kalmegi that was so hot I could hardly swallow it and had to chug milk thereafter. Then going back and ordering what we thought was the other one, only to get the same spicy one again. *Sigh*
  • Fresh raw fish on two occasions - once for free and once for an exhorbitant amount.
  • Getting lost in the streets of Busan (in daylight this time around) as we tried to find the 40 Steps. Not horribly lost, but a little.
  • Heavy bags filled with binoculars, caps, baseballs and souvenirs weighing my shoulders down.
  • Making friends with the Koreans, who would probably never have spoken to me if I had been on my own, as they chatted away with Grant and I interpretted their broken English into something that Grant could understand.
  • My bed collapsing in the middle of the night, shocking us at first and then leading to hysterical fits of laughter as we contemplated how people would react when they heard about it.
  • Belting it out at the Noribang until 1:30 on a school night with some of our friends for Grant's farewell.
  • Forcing him into Love Story in Shinae and giggling at how awkward he looked sitting in a pouffy couch, eating icecream with a heart shaped spoon and just surrounded by pink and girliness.

As I said, there are so many memories that have been made, and these are just a few, but they are the ones that stand out the most in my blurry memory of happiness. Check back in a few days when I will have attached some photos, since most of my photos arent on my work computer.

0 Responses

Post a Comment