Looking at other people's blogs, I get the feeling that I really don't post enough! So here I am, trying to post more about my everyday life in what is now sunny, sticky, steamy Korea.

This week marked my fourth month in Korea. It doesn't feel like four months have passed, and I am going to take that as a good thing. Last month, it seemed like the three months that I had been here had taken forever, and yet here I am, one month later, feeling like I really haven't been here all that long. I think that means that things are starting to get better again. Last month I looked around my apartment and had a minor panic attack thinking that there was no way in hell that I could stay here for nine more months. Today I walked to school and there was a feeling of contentment that surrounded me. Just looking around me at the kids walking to school and the people cycling to work, I had a feeling that everything was really going to be okay. I didn't mind so much that the people around me were speaking a language that I couldn't understand, though last month that was one of the main reasons I was considering leaving (though, to be fair, it was more that no one could understand what I was saying rather than not being able to understand what they were saying). Everything just had a very familiar air about it. I was walking down a street that I had come to recognise, I automatically looked left then right when trying to cross the road. I just didn't feel quite as out of place as I have been feeling recently.

This week was also the first time in three months when I didn't have tutorials to worry about. I took advantage of that on Tuesday night by going out to dinner with my friend, Amy, and though the dinner was not the greatest, the company was good and I had a nice time in general, which always tends to happen when I hang out with Amy. Thursday night I took advantage of the extra time off in a different way - by just staying home and relaxing. It was a nice change from the hurried preparations that would happen after school and the precious ten minute naps that I would enjoy before rushing out the door to my tutlings.

The upcoming weekend is likely to be another of quiet contemplation, series and a sprinkle of partying spread in between. Tonight, there is Indian food and norebang with Shai, Jen and Dawn (a girls night out, which I feel should become a regular occurence, since my girls nights out have been sorely missed since my university days, and were rare even then). Tomorrow is movie night with Patrick and possibly his co-teacher, Ashley, followed by food and soccer. And Sunday night is quiz nite, as always, and hopefully this week I will stand a chance at winning! We shall see.

In the meantime, I am going to return to my day at work, which is looking rather empty and boring. But hey, I'm not complaining - it's better than being busy and overworked!
0 Responses

Post a Comment